IT Systems Administrator (Windows)
- Full time or part time
- Salary range: $100,000 - $109,999
- Ability to work from home
- 12 month contract with the possibility of renewal depending on funding
- Flexible working arrangements may be negotiated
We are looking for an experienced system administrator with extensive experience of Windows technologies who will contribute to the ongoing administration, support, operations, engineering, innovation, and development of solutions to facilitate QCIF’s mission to support its University Members’ researchers in the use of research computing infrastructure and services. This role will contribute to the deployment and operations of a secure eResearch platform on the Open Stack research cloud (QRIScloud).
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Show innovation and technical leadership in all aspects of systems planning, architecture, deployment, development, support, performance engineering, and administration.
- Provide high level guidance, architectural review, knowledge and engineering experience, encouraging, leading and facilitating architectural robustness, dialogue, and design.
- Identify, recommend, and implement opportunities to improve systems or processes, develop new services or facilities to improve the research and the overall strategic mission of QCIF and its Members.
- Advanced project management functions for large deployments, capital works, infrastructure upgrades and migrations, where required.
- Seek out, research and implement sector leading approaches to problems, providing leadership approaches to systems design and new initiatives.
- Act as a subject matter expert on medium to high level committees for implementation, procurement, and strategic initiatives.
- Be available during critical incidents or other emergencies to assist with resolution and act as a point of communication and liaison to keep stakeholders aware of progress during incidents.
- Participate in, manage and assess in the resolution of technical problems reported by clients and team members via the service desk or other escalation paths.
- Plan, deploy, implement and continually review security posture, capability and implementation to ensure applications and platforms adhere to best practice and are in line with Information Security Policy and Guidelines.
- Deployment, configuration, maintenance, and administration of several Windows platforms (Microsoft Windows Server, Active Directory, SQL Server, VPN, remote desktop and application software).
- Documentation of procedures, process, systems, platforms in consolidated and unified platforms for organisational knowledge repositories.
- High level reporting, implementation and recommendation of capacity and resource management approaches in compute and storage domains.
- Oversight and guidance of deployment, patching, monitoring and platform security via frameworks such as Puppet, Ansible, MASS and others.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of training programs.
- Where appropriate, supervision or shared supervision of other staff, interns and/or students in relevant projects.
- An Honours degree or Masters degree in Computer Science or Information Technology with a major in information systems, software engineering or a related discipline with at least 7 years of experience or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- An expert level practical and functional understanding of systems administration principles ranging from advanced Windows administration through to more advanced topics such as security hardening and optimisation of the operating system environmental variables.
- An advanced understanding of networking technologies and protocols (ethernet, TCP stack, firewall) and cybersecurity.
- Experience working with Agile project management methods.
- Practical skills in software engineering and scripting languages (Python, Perl, shell, etc.).
- High level of creative thinking capability and excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively with clients by telephone, email and in person.
- Ability to prioritise own workload, work independently and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to upholding the University’s values, and with the outstanding personal qualities of openness, respectfulness and integrity.
- Practitioner and expert level skills in cloud platforms (e.g. Azure or OpenStack).
- Knowledge of Unix or Linux.
- Knowledge of Kubernetes.
- Knowledge of deployment of other relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL).
- Knowledge of programming languages (e.g. C#).
- Understanding of hierarchical storage management, concepts in caching and data hierarchy for large scale storage.
Founded in 2000, Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation Limited (QCIF) is a not-for-profit company whose mission is to improve the quality and efficiency of data-centric research in Queensland. QCIF’s members are the seven research intensive universities in Queensland. This position will be hosted by the Research Computing Center at the University of Queensland (https://rcc.uq.edu.au).
QCIF provides a range of high-performance data services to Queensland researchers, including data and informatics skills development, data management and data science expertise, software development, software hosting and access to digital research infrastructure.
The position reports to QCIF’s Group Manager for Shared Infrastructure Services
Details about QCIF may be accessed on the QCIF website at http://qcif.edu.au
Vaccinations and Immunisation
It is a condition of employment for this role that if you are required now or in the future, to work or interact in Queensland Health clinical facility; or in an equivalent clinical health facility; or health care role; or will be required to perform work tasks that put you at risk of exposure to vaccine-preventable disease you are required to be immunised against, and remain immunised against, certain vaccine preventable diseases (VPDs). The employee is required to provide evidence of immunisation against VPDs.
QCIF values diversity and inclusion and actively encourages applications from those who bring diversity to QCIF.