Plotting and Programming in Python
This Software Carpentry workshop will introduce the building blocks of the Python scripting environment. Participants will learn about basic programming concepts including simple and complex data types, conditionals and looping that are applicable to Python and other languages. This workshop will prepare participants to carry out batch analysis and equip them with the knowledge to start creating automated pipelines to increase data processing power and productivity.
Researchers looking for scripting capabilities to run batch analyses and link processes to create a basic pipeline, or to automated repeated tasks for efficiency and reproducibility. No prior knowledge of Python is required, but a familiarity with command-line interfaces will be helpful.
- Use Python to read and write data from and to files
- Perform simple scripting operations using loops and conditionals to carry out batch analyses
- Generate data plots with Python
- Fundamental programming concepts and how to apply them in Python
- Python data types and data structures
- Importing functions into Python using modules
- Programming structures: loops, conditionals, and functions
- Using scripting language to automate data analysis pipelines